Welcome to the discussion list for the 2013 STARFLEET Election. For this list, we are going keep the rules simple, easy to understand, and enforced by the three list administrators.
The list moderator is Greg Trotter (email@example.com). The list owners are Liz Woolf (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jeff Victor (email@example.com).
The list will be operated in a family-friendly format. Here are a few basic things to keep in mind.
(1) As the list will be family-friendly, please keep the language clean with that in mind. We expect the discussion to be mature and respectful, and will take appropriate action if that standard isn't met.
(2) The list is restricted to election business only. Any other topics will be required to move.
(3) In the case of behavior which requires action by the list administration the following will be followed:
(a) In the first instance, a warning will be sent privately to the offender, and carbon-copied to the other two list administrators.
(b) In the second instance, the offender will be placed in moderated mode for two weeks, allowing them to observe the list, but all posts from the person during that time will require approval to be released to the membership.
(c) In the event of a third instance, the offender will be placed on moderated mode and will remain in that mode till it can be determined that he or she will follow the list rules.
(d) No type of moderation action will be taken unless approved by at least two of the three administrators.
(4) A member put on moderation by the Election List administrators team can appeal the decision first to the administrator team itself. If their decision remains unchanged, the member may appeal to the Executive Committee, which will be asked to make a ruling in no more than seven days from receiving the member's appeal and all related e-mails/evidence/statements from the list and from other members as may be submitted by the member the moderation team. (All materials will be delivered to the CS in as timely a manner as possible. Perceived stalling can be cited by the EC as a factor in making a ruling for or against an appeal.) After seven days, all votes cast by the EC will be counted, with non-votes counted as abstentions. The ruling from the EC will be final. In the event of a tie, the original ruling is maintained. The CS or his designate will let the member and the Election moderation team know the EC's ruling as soon as possible.
(a) As the Election Coordinator is a sitting member of the EC, she shall not vote on appeals to the EC. Likewise, if any member of the EC is a candidate, has announced their intention to become a candidate, or are a member of a candidate's proposed EC, they, too, must recuse themselves from voting. With the noted exception of Communications, a Vice Chief will represent that department in an appeal vote.
(b) To keep the list from being disrupted, any decision to moderate a member will remain in place until overturned either on appeal or by reconsideration of the moderation team.
(5) Only current members of STARFLEET will be allowed to be subscribed to and post to the list. Non-STARFLEET members will be removed.
(6) There will be no discussion of list operations on the list proper. All communications of that type must be sent to either the list administrators or to the Chief of Communications in her capacity as Election Coordinator and must be done so privately.
(7) Each subscriber to this list is responsible for his or her account on it. If someone uses your account to make a post on this list in your name and violates the rules, you will be held responsible.
(8) Subscribers are expected to adhere to standard practices of mailing list etiquette, particularly the following:
(a) Sign your posts. Posts must be signed with, at a minimum, your first and last name and your e-mail address (pseudonyms are not permitted). Signature blocks should not exceed six lines.
(b) Trim your posts. When replying to a post, quote only the relevant portion(s), not the entire message. If using a smartphone or app that makes trimming replies difficult, do not quote the preceding message, and instead briefly paraphrase the point to which you are responding.
(c) Keep subjects relevant. If the topic of discussion changes from the original subject matter, change the subject line of your post to reflect the new topic. If replying to a digest, you must change the subject line from "Election2013 Digest, Vol X, Issue XX" to something more descriptive.
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the Election2013
(The current archive is only available to the list
Subscribe to Election2013 by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. Once
confirmation is received, your request will be held for approval
by the list moderator. You will be notified of the moderator's
decision by email. This is also a private list, which means that the
list of members is not available to non-members.